Job Search | Build-a-Resume | Etiquette Corner
Maxim Staffing Solutions understands that interviewing for a job can be stressful. Our professional etiquette tips are designed to help you prepare for your next interview.
- Research the company you will be interviewing with. Usually a company's Web site is the best place to start. Show your interest in the job by preparing three to five questions to ask your interviewer about the company and/or position.
Possible questions include:
- What is a typical day like in this role?
- What is the dress code?
- What is the scheduling like?
- Dress for success in conservative, professional clothing. A suit or button-up shirt with slacks is generally appropriate. Be sure your clothes are ironed and your shirt is tucked in. If you have a tattoo, keep it covered.
- Arriving on time to an interview is critical. It is recommended that if you are unfamiliar with the area, you should try a driving dry run to make sure you will not get lost on the day of your interview, and know where you can park.
- Leave an extra 15-20 minutes earlier than you think to allow for traffic and other variables that may make you late.
- Learn your interviewer's name prior to arriving to the interview and be sure you know how to pronounce it correctly.
- Bring extra copies of your resume in case you meet with more than one person.
- Stand when your interviewer enters the room and greet him/her with a firm handshake and eye contact.
- Unless instructed otherwise, greet your interviewer with his/her title and last name (ex: Mr. Smith, not Joe), and use Ms. or Mrs. for women, rather than a first name.
- Maintain a positive attitude throughout the interview. If asked about why you left your last job, keep your answer neutral, not negative.
- At the end of the interview, shake your interviewer's hand and thank him/her for taking the time to meet with you. Ask for a business card and be sure to send a thank you note within the next couple of days.
Get started on your career today. Contact Maxim Staffing Solutions for job opportunities or submit your resume today.