Maxim Staffing Solutions offers a variety of laboratory jobs and other scientific jobs. We offer contract, temp-to-perm, per diem, and direct hire histology job opportunities in the Allied health field. As an employee of Maxim you can enjoy working with a variety of patients in some of the most prestigious medical facilities nationwide.
Apply for one of our histology jobs today or read a brief description about the responsibilities for this job.
Under the direction of a pathologist or a qualified medical professional, the Histotechnologist prepares human tissue and bodily fluid specimens by treating the specimens with chemicals, slicing and mounting on glass slides for microscopic examination and analysis by the pathologist. Preparation process may include sectioning, reagent and other treatment, slide placement, and dying. The Histotechnologist places specimens using fixation, dehydration, clearing and/or impregnation by embedding, in a suitable media. Uses judgment to adapt for tissue types, uses chemicals and dyes to stain sections in order to demonstrate various pathological conditions. Job duties for a Histotechnologist may include:
- Performing specimen collection, accessioning and logging routines
- Making scheduled rounds within the facility to pick up surgical specimens
- Checking each specimen for criteria of acceptability, assuring proper patient identification, specimen integrity and appropriate paperwork
- Recording the receipt of specimens and assigning identification numbers according to department and/or facility protocol
- Referring any problem specimen to the area of collection and informing the supervisor
- Assisting pathologists with tissue grossing procedures; preparing the tissue grossing area
- Maintaining and assuring specimen identification by correctly labeling cassettes and maintaining workflow in concert with the pathologist
- Cleaning the workstation after completing grossing procedures; ensuring aseptic techniques and observing health safety protocols during cleanup to minimize exposure risks
- Processing and embedding tissue sections for slides
- Embedding processed tissue, cutting embedded tissue for slide sections; performing routine and special stains according to department procedures in preparation for analysis by the pathologist
- Preparing frozen-section slides for frozen-section diagnosis by the pathologist
- Routinely conducting highly-specialized histochemical and histo-pathological laboratory tests for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease; recording test results for review by physicians
- Preparing and maintaining equipment used for all types of tissue processing, embedding, cutting and mounting, labeling, recording and verifying the quality of slides delivered to pathologist
- Setting-up equipment, instruments and apparatus for specific laboratory procedures
- Performing preventive maintenance and quality control procedures on the lab equipment
- Providing technical assistance and training to laboratory personnel as required
We invite you to discover what makes Maxim one of the leading medical staffing agencies in the nation. Search our lab and scientific jobs for available contract, temp-to-perm, per diem or direct hire histotechnologist jobs.